Union County Military
Family Support Group
P.O. Box 1001
Marysville, Ohio 43040
Phone (937) 644-9242
Oscar Decker MG USA (Ret.) - 937-644-9242 Chairman
Ken Bonnell - Vice Chair
Bonnie Bonnell - Sec./Treasurer
Lynn Herd - 937-246-4125 - Programs
Nan Hayes - Media
Rev. Groat - Chaplain
The group meets the fourth Thursday of each month, except in December. The time is 7 pm on the main floor of the American Legion hall, Marysville.
Why do we have a Union County Military Family Support Group?
As military members are deployed throughout the world in defense of our country, Union County residents contribute to this effort. Many families have one or more members on active duty away from home serving with the National Guard, Reserve Units, or in rgular military units both in the United States and abroad.
Parent units for these service members have support groups, but these are located where the military units are based. Most are scattered, with some Reserve units even as far away as Kentucky, Indiana, and Pennsylvania, so that there is no close unit support for families left behind in our area. The Military Family Support Group (MFSG) developed a Vision and Mission based on this local need for support.
A respected and active link in the community to funnel community support and recognition to the families of and military members of Union County.
Identify and network with military families in Union County, express support and provide for their special needs, facilitate community support and recognition for the military members and their families.
Who belongs to the Group?
The Group consists of military family members, members of the supporting American Legion Posts the Blue Star Mothers and residents of Union County interested in helping out military families while their family members are on active duty.
What are the Group's Goals?
The Group's focus is on the following:
1. Identify and communicate with all Union County Military Families.
2. Establish an organizational network that links: Family, Military,Governmental,Community, Business, & Support Group organizations for an effective means to acheive the Vision and Mission.
3. Link Military Families with each other for effective communications.
4. Strengthen community fellowship and service opportunities.
5. Structure fund raising activities and systems to generate tax-deductible donations for MFSG projects.
Who Sponsors the Group?
The MFSG is a 501 C-3 non-profit organization. American Legion Post 79, Marysville, provides support. The group is also affiliated with Post 40, Richwood, Post 248, Plain Cuty, and the Blue Star Mothers of Union County.
How is the Group funded?
Funding is provided through the troop support rallies held in Marysville, private and business tax-deductible donations, fund raising events of the Group, American Legion Post 79 and other Union County organizations.
Where and When does the Group meet?
The group conducts its regular meetings on the fourth Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm at the American Legion Building on West Fifth St. Child-care is available.
What events and activities does the Group have?
The MFSG has held or is planning a number of activities to meet the various needs of all family members. These activities include:
3. Ice cream social/picnic
4. Zoo memberships
6. YMCA courtesy memberships
7. COSI visit
8. Hay ride/cookout
9. Welcome hometown heroes
10. Christmas Party
11. Packages and phone cards to troops
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
12. Let the military families know that you appreciate their sacrifices.
13. Offer your friendship and support to military families.
14. Volunteer to assist in activities.
15. Support military families by doing minor repairs or providing other help.
16. Make support services available at a reduced cost or voluntary.
17. Provide donations-cash, activities, or materials.
Direct donations to:
Military Support Group
c/o American Legion Post 79
P.O. Box 408
Marysville, Ohio 43040